Sunday, January 6, 2008

To Answer a Few Questions...

One of my friends has read through (at least some of) my blogs and has asked some really good questions, so instead of just answer him, I thought I would blog them so everyone can know as well.

Q1: What does you daily schedule look like?
Everyday is different, and since I only did everything once my first week here before everything stopped for Christmas I don't know exactly what it will look like. However, Kari, Chuck, Robbi and I have talked (today in fact) about what a week will generally look like, at least until mid-Feb (that's when my intensive Spanish course begins). So here is what I know...
Mondays: Tutoring in the morning for 2 hrs with Ligia, then grammar tutoring for 2 hrs in the afternoon with Kari, and in the evenings (maybe) teaching English at one of the CMA churches.
Tuesdays: Teaching English at another CMA church all morning (plus traveling which is about an hr each way).
Wednesdays: Tutoring in the morning with Ligia, possibly tutoring in the afternoon with Kari, and Bible studies with a new church plant in the evenings.
Thursdays: This will be our day of rest, so whatever Kari and I decide to do with our day!
Fridays: Tutoring with Ligia in the morning and babysitting in the evening for 2 CMA missionary couples that attend the language school.
Saturdays: El Comedor (the children's soup kitchen) in the morning for a couple hours and youth group in the evening.
Sundays: Church in the morning and anything else that pops up for the rest of the day.
Remember, this is just a rough schedule and I definitely could have forgotten a thing or 2...

Q2: What is the one thing you have learned?
I have definitely learned a lot during my time here. I think I have learned it's ok to be pushed outside your comfort zone. I have been pushed outside my comfort zone in a lot of ways. Obviously, through the language and being able to communicate, but also learning the traditions and habits of the people here. Learning to live with people I don't know at all and learning their routines and habits have been interesting, and definitely out of my comfort zone (not that the people aren't great). Also, just spending time with the Ticos (the Costa Rican people). Take Saturday (my last entry) for example. I could have said no and stayed home, it would have been easier especially since I really don't know any of the youth nor the things that interest them, etc, but I knew I should go because it will make it less out of my comfort zone the next time (plus it ended up being a really great experience).

Q3: What is so great about this experience?
I could answer thing question in a lot of ways, but I think the best thing about this experience is it is giving me a taste of what life as a missionary is like. I am learning how to live in a different culture and away from those I love. I spent my first holiday away from family and friends (old friends since I was with new ones). I must say that I am glad it was early in my trip because then everything was still new and I didn't miss home as much as I probably would have, but it was still different. Also, I have met some amazing people who I know will help form me into a better person with a better understanding of God and the Bible! Throughout this year I know I not only have a better appreciation for missionaries in general, but I hope that it will also prepare me for the calling I feel God has placed on my life!

Q4: What has God taught you thus far?
God has taught me dependence. I have spent a lot of my life depending on the people around me, which isn't a bad thing, but I have been more dependant on them than I have on God, which isn't super great. Through my short time here, I have learned that God is the one I should always look to. He is the strength behind who I am and who I can become. Even when I'm frustrated at my lack of language skills or other skills, I have to trust that God will help me understand and be able to communicate correctly when the time is right. I have to trust that when I miss home and all the people I love, God's love is greater than all of theirs combined and God's love is sufficient for me. I know I have a whole lot more to learn about dependence and about God, but I have the rest of my life to learn, little by little!

I hope this brought a clearer understanding about what life will be like and what life has been like for me here!

1 comment:

Jeff and Lisa Olson said...

Yeah! Always fun to hear and read what you and God are up too!