Friday, January 4, 2008

Carnival in Zapote

On Wednesday, a couple friends (named Meli, Stig, and Kari) and I went to a carnival close to our house. In some ways it reminded me of a county fair, except that there wasn't agricultural things there, there were only rides, food, and an arena where they hold something called Torros al Ticos (Bulls vs. Tico - or Costa Ricans). We didn't go watch this since the line was very long to buy tickets. I'll give you a brief explanation: A bunch of men from Costa Rica go into a pen, they send out a bull and the men try to run away from the bull - or try to get the bull to run after them - in some ways its interesting, but at the same time its really stupid. There are a lot of injuries caused by the bull's horns and even a few deaths - I think 2 this year. Plus when the bull isn't chasing someone, it's rather boring to watch (I watched it on tv). I think I'll stick with watching bull riding, I feel there is more of a point to this...


Anyways, back to what my friends and I did. We went on rides. We went on 5 different rides. Most of the rides spin you in a circle while you are swinging back and forth and upside down. Normally, I can't handle too many of this type of ride, but for some reason, my body could handle it this time. The names of the rides were Evolution, Freak Out (this was the best in Stig and my opinions), Galeon (this is a boat that swings back and forth - lame after the first 2), Montana Loop (a rollercoaster that was more fun than it looked, but obviously can't compare to what we have at home), and the last ride is call Drive In. We went on Drive In 3 times. Drive In is a ride that probably wouldn't be allowed in the US because there are no safety restraints. You must hang on while spinning in a fast circle and while it violently shakes. Let's just say my arms, back and neck are still sore. (I have a video, but my blogger won't read it at this moment, so you'll just have to use your imagination, sorry.)

No comments: