Thursday, December 13, 2007

La Playa

Today marks my 1 week point. I left home 1 week ago, that's kind of hard to believe. In some ways I feel like it hasn't been that long, but then when I look back over the last week and what all I've done, I feel as though I've been here for a month! So far I have enjoyed everything - to different degrees - and most things are still fairly new therefore making them exciting. I know soon things will become everyday life and not so exciting (luckily things will slow down until January, so when things start to get boring, things I've done over this past week will pick up once more to make things new and exciting again for a while). Once I get to this point, I think homesickness will start to creep in, so please keep this in your prayers in the following weeks.

Well, today Kari, Chad, and Clay took me to the beach. Since the guys are going home (Ohio) for Christmas and Chad isn't returning, this was kind of like a time for goodbyes I guess.

The beach was on the Pacific side of the country and it was nice, but I guess it's not the nicest beach here, but the closest. We had to take a 20 minute taxi ride to get to the bus depot to take us on a +/- 2 1/2 hour bus ride. It was so beautiful going over the mountains!

At the beach we swam for a while, but the waves were so strong, it wasn't a ton of fun (not like our calm MN lakes!!). My eyes started hurting from all the salt so I went up to our towels to sit a while. I think I have enough salt in my system to last a while! At the towels, I had a little contact problems, but those eventually got fixed, thank you Jesus!!

After we had been lying around a while, we decided to build a sand castle (which later turned into a small "village"). Yes us 22+ year olds were building sand castles - and we didn't even have anything to use other than our hands, feet, and a frisbee. It was a ton of fun!

I wanted to ride horses on the beach, but didn't want to pay for it, so I didn't.

We had lunch at KFC/Quiznos, then walked through the very touristy shops before getting back on the bus to head home (over 3 hour trip).

Unfortunately, my sunscreen didn't do as good of a job as I had hoped, so I'm a bit of a lobster...even my legs which never get burned (or tanned). So please pray for healing!!

(The blog doesn't want to put the pictures on right now, so I'll add them later...)

1 comment:

Bruce and Marcia said...

Jess, great to hear from you and that it is going great for you there. We miss you but will keep you in our prayers. It was not the same at Grandma's without you last weekend we we survived. Keep up the wonderful work you are doing and we will see you soon.

Bruce