Monday, December 24, 2007

The Circus

Well this last weekend (Saturday and Sunday) were SO MUCH FUN!! There was a Christmas party for the young people of the church on Saturday that Kari and I went to since the small group that we go to fits into this group. We had a fun time, but we were both glad we were there together because we were the oldest ones there (other than those leading everything) since everyone else was in junior or senior high, we were the only gringas (white people), and we were the only ones didn't always understand what was happening...We started out by playing a couple games to help everyone get to know each other. First we had to write our first and last names on a piece of paper, but we had to scramble the letters. Then we put these pieces of paper in a bag and got a different scrambled name. We had to unscramble the name, then introduce ourselves to that person. Kari and I were not too excited about this game because we really didn't know anyone at the party and we're not real good with Tico names. Luckily for us Pastor Manuel (the husband of our tutor) was there and helped us unscramble names, then point out who that person was. The boy who got my name asked in the microphone who I was (he got Jessica unscrambled, but couldn't figure out my last name).

The next game we played we got another piece of paper and had to draw a clock on it. Then put lines for each of the 12 hours. Once the clock was made, we had to find 12 people to meet with at that "hour" to get to know. I got 8 hours filled, but not all 12. When the annoucer said 1 o'clock, we had to talk with our 1:00 appointment (or date, whatever you want to call it). This got a little frustrating because it was loud so I couldn't hear what was being said, or I couldn't understand, and since each appointment was only about 30 seconds it's hard to communicate...There was one hour that everyone was supposed to talk in English, Kari and I liked this one, it gave them all a chance to see how we felt...


We had a little devotional that I really don't know what was said (its very hard to understand when a mircophone is being used). Then we made cards for God, to remind us that Christmas is about God and not about gifts.


Our last game was a variation of 4 on a Couch. It was more like 6 on a Bench, and instead of being broken down by gender, there were 3 colors - purple, blue, brown - that we had to wear. I was blue and was able to start on the bench. We wrote our names on cards again and then drew out a new name. I eventually got Kari's name (since that was one of the only names I knew and I had an open seat beside me to call for). I sat on the bench the entire time, up to the end. One of the boys finally figured out a strategy for the game (unfortunately he was purple) and got me off the bench. But unfortunately for him, then name he gave me was Karim, so the guy called that name since he was confused and put me back on the bench to win the game (we didn't fill the bench with all one color because there were about 50 people and it was taking a really long time so it was the next color to get on the bench would win, I was the next on the bench so blue won!!


Then we had dinner (chicken, salad, and rice). Kari and I took off after we ate because we wanted to get back to say goodbye to the family whose house we are living in (they're at home for the next 6 months).


Then on Sunday morning, there was a party for the children. Kari, Sandra, Lisa, and I did face painting. It was a lot of fun. None of us are particularly good painters, but it was fun and most of the girls wanted mariposas (butterflies) and most of the boys wanted leones (lions), so it wasn't too difficult. My last boy wanted Spiderman, I told him I didn't know how to do Spiderman. I think he thought I didn't know who Spiderman was because he's like a spider that is a man, so I told him I knew who Spiderman was, but I couldn't draw him, so I gave him a lion instead. There was also balloon tying, games and food for the kids (I had my first Tico hot dog - they're cold).


Here are a few pictures!
(The themes for these 2 events was the Circus!)


No comments: