Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Party

Tonight Kari and I went to a Christmas party for the workers for El Comedor.  I actually only accompanied Kari since I just started and haven't really done anything there yet.  The party didn't start until 9pm (or it was supposed to start at 9, but it was more like 9:30 or 9:45), and since I haven't slept much since I got here, it was very late for me.  At first I wasn't overly excited about being there, mostly because I was so tired, but also I sort of wanted a break from Spanish since my last couple days have quite a bit more Spanish that the previous week and a half (then when you mix the tiredness, it makes it even harder to understand).

Despite feeling this way, I am SO glad I went.  I was able to meet new people and build some friendships (or at least begin these friendships).  We ate grilled chicken and pork (the absolute BEST pork I have ever eaten!) with a salad (mostly cabbage mixed with tomatoes and lime juice).  The food was so good (minus the tomatoes!).  After dinner (which was around 10pm or later), we had 2 pinatas.  Besides Kari and I there were 3 other American missionaries, 2 of whom were very fun men (who acted like kids most of the time)!  The men had way too much fun, but they kept the rest of us entertained!  Then when the women's pinata broke, it was so funny to watch grown (and one older) women rush to the ground and lay on their candy so no one else could get their candy.  When the pinatas were finished they had a gift exchange (a Secret Santa).  It was a little sad because not everyone was there, so not everyone got presents (I didn't because I wasn't there for the names, but I think I got a pretty good gift in the new friendships and fun).

We didn't finish until midnight and didn't get home until 12:30am.  I am now tired, yet awake, so I will finish and get to bed!!

Oh, one more thing, my prayer request from earlier about a home for January has been answered!  I will be living with a lady from the Alliance church I attend with her daughter and sister.  Thank you to all who have been praying for me, it is much appreciated!!

No comments: