Friday, December 7, 2007

First Day!!

Hello Family and Friends!!  I made it to Costa Rica.  I had to take 3 planes to here, but all went well and I sat next to really nice people!  The longest flight was from Atlanta to San Jose, which was about 4 hours - not bad at all!!

The only problem came when I landed in CR.  My luggage didn't land with me.  Fortunately for me, I wasn't the only one, there were quite a few people whose luggage didn't accompany them either, so I had to wait a while in line to talk with the person who takes care of that kind of thing.  I was a little nervous when the lady couldn't even tell me where my luggage was...I knew I would get it, but I didn't know if it would be 1 or 2 days or longer since they didn't know where it was currently located.  So today I had to wear the same close again.  However, the good news is that the luggage came today around 3:45-4pm!!  Now I can wear fresh clothes!!

Today I spent a lot of time meeting new people.  I went with Kari, whom you will hear a lot about because she is also doing the OnMission program and has been here since Sept, to her Spanish tutoring lesson.  I was able to meet the lady who will be tutoring me 3 to 4 times per week for 2 hours.  She is the associate/youth pastor's wife and is very nice!  I am excited - yet a little nervous - about starting.

Kari and I walked back home after her 2 hour session was over.  Walking through the streets reminds me of Quito, Ecuador.  Just the way the neighborhoods look.

Kari and I had lunch at the house we are staying at.  The house is owned by a missionary couple who rents rooms out to people who are staying in CR.  I have my own room in the back, but next week I will be moving to a different room because one of the girls is leaving.  I hear the food is amazing, and so far the leftovers I had for lunch make that sound true!

After lunch, Chuck and Robbi, along with a missionary named John and 2 of his kids, picked Kari and I up and took us to PriceSmart (a Sam's Club type store).  We walked around while Robbi and John did some shopping.  One of the girls took to me right away, and both are very outgoing.  I was excited, since, as many of you know, I love kids.  So this definitely made me feel at home!

We came home again and had about 1 to 1 1/2 hours before we had or next thing to do (which is when my luggage came!).  Then it was time to babysit.  There are 2 missionary families whom we will babysit every Friday night (switching families every week).  One family has 4 kids (2 girls - the 2 girls I mentioned before - and 2 boys), the other has 3 girls.  I know God has this in mind when I came on a Thursday night so that Friday would be babysitting night, making me feel at home!!

Everyone has been GREAT!  I can't tell you everyone's names because I have met so many people, but everyone has been so much fun and done a great job welcoming to Costa Rica, to their homes, and to their families!

Please keep praying everything continues to go well in this exciting new adventure!!  

P.S. Pictures will be coming!

No comments: