Sunday, April 25, 2010

At Home

The youth (ages 12-30) in my church here in Costa Rica do youth group differently than at home. Ever Saturday the get together, but in small groups based on age and location (since most people don't have cars, they usually try to meet in their neighborhoods). Then the last Saturday of every month, they have a culto unido (united service), where one small group takes the lead and all the groups come together at the church. I thought there were 31 days in April, therefore missing the united group Bible study, but God knew how much I wanted it, and made it work out for the best where yesterday was the last Saturday of the month!

Spending time with these wonderful youth last night was a HUGE blessing. Some knew I was coming, but not when, others had no idea was going to be in town. So it was great seeing their faces light up and immediately accept me again after so much time. In many ways it was like no time had passed. There were also quite a few new faces (almost half). Which is GREAT it shows that there is growth. The all expressed a desire for me stay for longer time, but also grateful for the short time together again. So my nerves going into the night were all for nothing. (After being gone so long, although I guess in the long run, 10 months really isn't that long, one never know how people may have changed, how I may have changed.)

Please be praying for the youth. They are an AWESOME group of young people. Last night the talk was about being different, setting yourself apart from non-Christians. The speaker talked about how there are people who don't believe in God and don't smoke, don't drink, don't party, etc. So how can we as Christian separate ourselves from them. It was a really good message, especially when that is where God has been doing work in my life.

--------------------------------------------------------

At the Comedor, it wasn't as great of an experience. May of the kids couldn't remember me :( Some said they did, but most didn't remember me. It doesn't change my love for them. They are great kids living in hard circumstances. Please be praying for them. They are some of the "least of these" that Jesus told us to care for and love. Although there are times, like yesterday, when they are out of control and hardly pay attention, seeds are being planted in their minds. God is there to do great and wonderful things in their lives. Pray for the leadership at the Comedor. That they have wisdom in dealing with different difficult situations, the teachers as they teach and love on the kids, the cooks as the make lunch every day out of love for the kids...and for the kids that they feel the love of Christ through His servants in Guizaros!

1 comment:

Nathan and Sandra Kliewer said...

I don't think I can ever forget those kids at the comedor. Keep up the great work! Hey when are you coming to Mexico!!!we would love an intern :)