Monday, March 10, 2008

Crazy Weekend

This last weekend I have had a lot of Spanish to speak and added responsibility...

Friday we had to give a 10-15 minute speech in my conversation class. I hate giving speeches in English, let alone Spanish, however, luckily for me, we got to choose our own topic. I bet no one can guess what I talked about...that's right, PERU!! I figured that's a topic that I could talk about FOREVER and never get bored! (Plus, since it's a place I have to talk in Spanish, it's not all that difficult for me to be able to think of a speech in Spanish.) Since there were 3 of us giving presentations on Friday, I ended up being the last one and time ran out, so I didn't say everything I had planned, but that's ok, I got through the majority.

Then on Saturday, I had to teach a Bible story at the Comedor in Spanish. Since Kari was gone and so was another Tica who usually teaches, I was the next option to teach the little kids. This was definitely less stressful. Plus, Rosy, a Tica friend, came with so she was able to expound on the story (Adam and Eve's disobedience in the garden), so that was a HUGE plus (plus she could understand what the kids said, since all of you know how hard it is to understand kids in English, Spanish is that much harder). The lesson ended up going well, it was the before and after that didn't go too smoothly. The older kids fought a lot and since I haven't been there that long, they don't listen to me when I try to get them to stop. It is so hard to watch these kids act that way. I know it has to be because their home situation isn't easy. Rosy talked with one of the boys for a while and found out that, at age 11, his mom makes him stay at home with his younger siblings and also tells him that he's stupid. This is hard to hear. I hope that the love I am able to show them 1 day a week (and the love of the other workers) is enough for them to have a glimpse of God's love for them. So please continue to pray for these children.

Then on Sunday I taught Sunday School, once again, in Spanish. Kari and I take turns helping out in Ligia's (our tutor) classroom. Yesterday, Ligia had to help in the kitchen with something, so she asked if I would be willing to teach. She told me I just had to teach the lesson I was going to teach at the Comedor, so that made it easier. It was also easier because the kids were a little older and there were less of them (4 of them spoke English as well). One of the CMA missionary students was in the classroom with me so that was fun!

Now that these 3 things have passed, I have a little more confidence that I am growing in my Spanish language study and that I am actually accomplishing something. I still have a long way to go before I can honestly say I'm fluent, but I am getting closer! Also, teaching at the Comedor and in Sunday School, I feel that I am getting closer to being able to share more about God and Jesus and the relationship that is necessary for us to have with Him. I am glad that I am able to take a part in this!

1 comment: