Thursday, February 21, 2008

Driving with Cell Phones

As I was walking home from my tutoring this morning, I was reminded of a "Life in Costa Rica" that I've been meaning to write.

People talk about how bad it is to drive while talking on cell phones, and laws have been passed limited who can talk on the phone while driving. Well, if you think that is bad, don't come to Costa Rica. Here people talk on their cell phones while driving and the driving is definitely more crazy here than in the States. I'm scared to drive here, let alone drive and talk on the cell phone, you NEVER know what the guy next to you is going to do!

Now, to what I saw this morning. Not only do people talk on their cell phones while driving cars, but they talk on cell phones while on their motorcycle, which is even worse! I honestly don't know how they do it. I can't image trying to talk on a cell phone while trying to control a motorcycle (granted a lot of the bikes here aren't as big as the bikes back home, some are hardly more than dirt bikes, but still!).

It's amazing to me that there aren't more accidents - whether from crazying driving or because of crazy driving while on the phone, but I guess if this is what you're used to, you don't know anything different...

(Oh, side note talking on the cell phone also includes texting - in both the car and motorcycle situations...)

2 comments:

Jeff and Lisa Olson said...

Hey Jess!

Great to read your post and hear some updates...

I heard a rumor that some of the Crown Women soccer players are going on a mission trip to Costa Rica over spring break...!

Any chance you are going to see them?

Andrew said...

I bet there are less accidents because to even be able to drive in that kind of traffic you have to not be retarded. In America anybody can get a license, no matter how unfit to drive they really are :D