Tuesday, June 3, 2008

9th Anniversary Celebration

On Friday I arrived to Chepen in the afternoon to join in the 9th Anniversary of the CMA church there. In the afternoon I was able to visit the church before a bunch of people came and talk with some friends who were preparing for festivities.

A little after 8pm the festitives began. We had a time of singing with a pastor from Trujillo. Then there was a baby dedication for 2 babies. One baby was Jose, Pastor Juan and Marta's youngest son. The other was for Henry and Rosa's newest addition (yes, for those who have been to Chepen and know Henry and Rosa, they have had another baby! A 2 month old little girl named Rut Elena and sh'e adorable, looks a bit like her brother.) Then there was another pastor from Trujillo who shared a message with the congregation.

It was great being with the church again. There were about 90 people in attendance! It's starting to look more and more like a church - much farther than it was 2 years ago, our first time there. They now have a sound box, paint on the permanent walls, plus an enclosed roof (although it's only temporary). The ushers also dressed similarly to stand out - white tops with black pants.

After the service, we had a dinner. It was good, but, as usual, a lot of food. It was also a little more spicy than I'd like, but not bad. We finished the night off with cake! This time was also spent talking with people. I mostly talked with the people my age - those I know the best. It was great to just sit and talk with people. I didn't understand everything, but definitely more than my last visits - the good thing too was that they noticed the difference in my language abilities too! The party was so great, I didn't end up getting home until about 12:130am!

I must admit it si different being there alone, without a group of gringos. In some ways I liked it better because I'm seeing more what things are "normally" like. However, at times I wish I had some gringo with me. If I thought I got stared at lot with everyone, it's worse now because I know it's me they're looking at, not someone else in the group.

Chepen team members: I want you to know they remember everyone of you, even if it was only 1 yr you came. They have asked about each of you by name. I am sending you their love!

Hope Church particularly, but everyone is included in this: Continue to pray for this church. One group that was supposed to come isn't able to anymore, so in some ways that's a discouragement, although you won't hear anyone complaining. Thankfully, in Juyly we'll still have 1 group. The church has been issued a challenge. If they can raise $1000 by the end of June, Chuck, a missionary who used to work in Peru (and my director), has said he would get $7000 from outside sources. With this $8000, they can get the 2nd floor of the church at least started, if not finished. Pastor Juan is sure they can get their $1000 raised. He has challenged the people of the church to donate $10 each. He believes that at least 60 people will do that, giving them $600, needing to raise only $400 more. That last $400, he hopes to raise in a yard sale and by selling baked goods. Please be praying this month for this opportunity to raise $8000 for the church!

Also please be praying for Pastor Juan and family. The are working on getting their visas for coming to visit in Oct. As it is difficult to obtain visas to the US, please be praying for this process. I'm hoping to travel with Pastor Juan and Marta to Lima to visit the Embassy to try to help in this process. Please also be praying as they prepare mentally and spiritually to come. They have a lot of questions and concerns, but I know they are excited about the opportunity to come!

(Sorry this is so long and there aren't any pictures. Hope to get those up soon!)

No comments: