Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas

I know I'm a little late writing a blog about Christmas, but such is life...

Here in Costa Rica, the tradition for local families is to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve (so Dec 24 is Christmas). So this year, I stayed with my host family on Dec 24 to celebrate with them. The other part of the holiday tradition is that families don't get together until 7, 8, or 9 pm, then eat between 10:30 and midnight. It was a bit different to be eating a full meal at 11:30pm, but it was fun celebrating with family.

For dinner we had turkey. It was the first turkey that the family had ever cooked, so I was asked if it looked alright and if I would carve it...I eat turkey, I have never cooked nor cut it...So it was an interesting experience for me. The turkey ended up tasting really good! It had a more sweeter taste than what I've ever had at home, with a sweeter stuffing and a sweeter gravy (it sounds like a really sweet meal, but it wasn't, just sweeter than what we eat at home). It was different ending the meal with a coconut flan and a crepe type thing...not the usual pie and such that we are used to, but still good.

After eating, the presents we opened. It was complete maddness...everyone opened whatever they got as soon as they got it, no order, nothing. It was a bit difficult to watch because I never knew where to look. Around 1am people started heading home, so by 2 am I was able to go to bed! It was a fun, but different Christmas.



Then on our Christmas (Dec 25), we got together as OnMission and celebrated Christmas a little more "American tradition." We had turkey, but more to how we eat it and all the holiday trimmings! It was great having this time together and being a family while so far away from our blood families. After dinner we played Phase 10 (lots of fun even though I didn't win ;) ) and then when dinner had settled (a little), we had dessert and exchanged gifts - a little more orderly than the night before.

Even though I was far from home and wasn't able to spend Christmas with my family for the second year, I can say that I enjoyed Christmas. I actually think it was better this year than last. Although the weeks and days leading up to Christmas were much more difficult. I hesitate to write this, knowing that Mom and Dad will read it, but, it was definitely much harder being away this year. I was more homesick knowing that my family would be celebrating together and I would not be able to join them. This has just made me all the more determined to be home next year!

No comments: