Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

This has been a Thanksgiving unlike any I have ever had. It sure did not seem like Thanksgiving to me (Costa Rica does not celebrate Thanksgiving, being as Thanksgiving is an American holiday). The nice thing was that I was able to talk, at least for a short while, to my family (it was a different year for all in my family because we were spread out in 4 different locations this year). Then this evening we had our normal Thursday night cell group. We ended the Bible study time with my director talking about what Thanksgiving was and a tradition many families hold to, giving thanks to God for things He has done/given us throughout the year, so we all shared. That is when I realized I should write about what I am thankful for on my blog, so you can know what I am thankful for this year.

This year I have many things to be thankful for. When we were told to share something this evening, the first thing that came to my mind was the time I had at home in October. I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to return home for a month and not only help with the Peruvian pastors, but also to be able to see family and friends whom I had not seen in at least 10 months. What a blessing it was to be home and be rejuvenated by everyone I saw!

However, the thing I realized I am most thankful for is what God has done and who He has become to me this last year. It was a year ago today I celebrated my last holiday at home and I was anticipating my trip to Costa Rica. When I look back at what I thought I would experience and how I thought I would feel a year ago during my time here, I realize how great God is and how much I have to be thankful for.

For those of you who know me well, you know I love being with my family. I am the "homebody" of our family. I thought I would cry every night for at least my first month here, yet I did not. I thought I would be extremely homesick, but I have not been. I thought I would be a bit lonely, but I am not. (That is not to say I have not had moments of each because, believe me, I have been homesick, I have cried, and I have been lonely, but definitely not to the extent that I imagined.) I definitely did not think I would sign on for an extra 9 months, yet I am. God has shown me how He is enough and that when I act in obedience to Him, He provides for me, He fills me, and He gives me what I need.

I am thankful for the family He has given me here in Costa Rica. I have many new little brothers and sisters here. I have aunts and uncles, and in some ways, parents. Even though I am living FAR from my blood family, God has provided me with a family here, and for that I am greatful.

I am thankful for my blood family back home. I am thankful for my parents who have stood beside me and supported me my whole life and even now, when I have moved to another country where communication is not always possible and we have gone long months without seeing each other. I am thankful they love God (and me) enough to let me go, even though they would rather hold on. I am thankful for my brother and sisters who have supported me as well. It has been difficult being so far from them, but they have continually given me encouragement. I am thankful for my grandparents. The have also supported me in everything. What a blessing it has been for me to grow up in a Christian home, with not only godly parents, but godly grandparents as well, all of whom have provided great examples to follow.

I am thankful for the spiritual family back home. I thank you for the support you have given, in sending me out and then continue supporting me in praying. What a huge blessing to have so many people behind and beside me, supporting me, lifting me up in prayer. It is humbling.

I thank each of you who have given me the opportunity to be here, serving God. May the Lord bless you!

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Do not forget to give thanks every day for the things God has provided for you. Thanksgiving should be an every day celebration.

1 comment:

Dave & Sue Lloyd said...

Jessica, We are so thankful for you! God gave us the privilege of raising you and you have responded to Him with a gracious and loving heart. We have been so blessed because of you and your siblings. We couldn't have asked for a better family! Even though you are far away from us, we take comfort in knowing you are exactly where God wants you to be. We ask for God's blessings to pour out on you and to all whom you come in contact with.

I agree with you that Thanksgiving should be an every day celebration!

With all our love,
Mom & Dad