Monday, September 29, 2008

Feliz Cumpleanos a Mi

Well, I celebrated my first international birthday! It was a birthday much different than I had imagined...a few more "firsts".

I found out the night before (Sept 25) that my host mom had a funeral to go to in the morning, so I planed to sleep in a little, then go walking (catch some rays if there would be any), and just have a low key day. However, plans changed. My host mom knocked on my room door at 8:15am to ask if I would accompany her to the funeral because she didn't want to go alone (she didn't really want to go in the first place, but she made a promise to herself that she would only attend the funerals of the people who were important in the life of her mother and attended her funeral 11 years ago). So I not only attended my first Costa Rican (Central/South American) funeral, it was also the first time I attended a funeral on my birthday. I guess going to a funeral on ones birthday really can make a birthday more meaningful. It's a reminder to be thankful for the extra year God has given, when He has, not only the power, but the right to take it away whenever he wants. So I thank God for this 23rd of life that He has blessed me with, and I hope for this year, I will be used in greater ways than I can imagine.

Now, back to fun birthday news, the afternoon, after getting home, was pretty laid back, then that evening, my host family (aunts and cousins) came over to celebrate my birthday. It was a fun time. We had a small dinner and cake! Then, because my host sister and cousin love the game Phase 10, we played that, all 10 phases!

The partying didn't end there (well it ended for the night), on Sat. I had another small party at a friends house. This was definitely an international party. There was a Tica Family and a Korean family. We had a little food from Korea and 2 kinds of cake. It was another fun time!

However, the fun still did not end...Sat. night, the Peters (the new CMA missionary family to study here) and I went to the Fanberg's house to have another celebration! It was fun having a more American birthday celebration!

Overall, I had a very internation celebration this year, I celebrated with Ticos, Koreans, Canadians, and Americans (and then with birthday wishes via internet from Peruvians as well), I must say, it was a very exciting weekend!! I am excited to come home (in 4 days!!) and celebrate a little with family and friends from home!!

1 comment:

Nathan and Sandra Kliewer said...

Happy Birthday Jessica, it sounds like you had a great time. We miss you guys, last night Izzy and I were looking at pictures of you and Kari and the Chaves and we were missing you all.
love Sandra